Commencement is our favorite time of year! We get to celebrate YOU, our graduates, and reward your hard work with a Purdue University diploma.
Commencement Dates and Participant Instructions for Fall 2018
Commencement ceremonies are held in May and December at both Hammond and Westville campuses.
- Westville Campus – Friday, December 7
- Friday, December 7 at 3:00 P.M. – All Colleges
- Westville Commencement Ceremony Information and Instructions
- Hammond Campus – Saturday, December 8
- Saturday, December 8 at 11:00 A.M. – College of Nursing and College of Technology
- Saturday, December 8 at 3:00 P.M. – College of Business, College of Engineering and Sciences, and College of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
- Hammond Commencement Ceremony Information and Instructions
Future Commencement Ceremony Dates and Deadlines
Click here for future PNW commencement ceremony dates. Candidates for graduation – Do not miss these critical deadlines!
Important Steps for Candidates for Graduation – Start Here!
Follow the steps outlined below to ensure that you are eligible to graduate and know what you need to do to participate in a commencement ceremony.
Intent to Graduate
You must notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to graduate when you are registering for your final course(s) of your degree program. Click here for important guidelines and links to the Intent to Graduate survey. Deadline has passed for Fall 2018 candidates.
Cap and Gown
Click here for instructions on purchasing your cap and gown. Deadline has passed for Fall 2018 candidates.
Attend a Grad Expo to get more information about participating in commencement and get your guest tickets. Dates and times for Spring 2019 Grad Expos at both PNW campuses – TBA.
All guests including children (infants and toddlers) must have a ticket in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Click here for more information about getting your guest tickets. Deadline has passed for Fall 2018 candidates.
Candidates for Graduation Needing Special Assistance
In compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), any candidate who might require special accommodations in order to participate in the commencement ceremony should contact Noemi Elizalde, the Graduation Coordinator, (219) 989-2334 or email email@example.com no later than Friday, November 16, to make appropriate arrangements.
General Commencement Information
- Academic Attire
- Conferring of Degrees in Commencement Ceremony
- Degree Requirements and Awarding Process
Additional Links for Special Requests
- International Students: The Office of the Registrar will provide a letter of invitation to assist graduates whose parents need to apply for a visa in order to attend their student’s commencement ceremony. Click here for more information and to request a letter for international guests.
- Students who are requesting special consideration to participate in a Commencement ceremony in a semester other than the one in which they are completing their degree requirements should submit the appropriate form below to the Office of the Registrar with all applicable signatures and by the published deadline.
- To request to have a degree awarded at another Purdue campus, download the Degree Awarded at Another Campus form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar of the student’s home campus prior to the end of the 6th week of the Fall or Spring term, or the 3rd week of the Summer session.
You must notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to graduate when you are registering for your final course(s) of your degree program. Also, please tell us how you would like your name printed on your diploma. The date that diplomas are available will be posted on this web page. Diplomas for candidates who are unable to pick them up from the Office of the Registrar will be mailed to the graduate’s current mailing address.
Note: Certificate only students do not submit an intent to graduate and do not participate in Commencement ceremonies. Please contact the Graduation Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding how you want your name printed on your certificate.
Please verify your mailing address in the myPNW portal. After you log in to the portal, click on the link in the Student Self-Service box on the Registration tab and then select Personal Information from the menu options to review the address we have on file. If you need to update your address, please complete the Address Change form.
Then submit the appropriate Intent to Graduate survey below for the semester you plan on completing your degree requirements.
If your final classes end in December, your graduation term is Fall and you should complete the Fall Intent to Graduate. You may participate in the December commencement.
- Fall 2018 Candidates for Graduation: Deadline has passed. Contact the Graduation Coordinator at (219) 989-2334 or at email@example.com if you have questions.
If your final classes end in the first week of May, your graduation term is Spring and you may participate in the May commencement.
- Spring 2019 Candidates for Graduation: Intent to Graduate Survey is available until Friday, February 1, 2019.
If your final classes end in August, your graduation term is Summer and you should complete the Summer Intent to Graduate. Both Summer and Fall graduates participate in the December commencement.
- Summer 2019 Candidates for Graduation: Survey is not yet available.
NOTE: If you have already completed an Intent to Graduate survey for the semester you plan on graduating and wish to make changes to the information you submitted, please contact the Graduation Coordinator at (219) 989-2334 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not complete another survey. However, if you need to change the semester in which you are graduating, then you should complete the survey for the correct semester above when it is available.
In order to participate in commencement exercises, you must purchase your cap and gown from your campus bookstore no later than Friday, November 9, by 2:00 pm. Be sure to sign the log (at the bookstore in Hammond or in Schwarz 40 in Westville) when you purchase your cap and gown, as the commencement participation list is generated from the information on this log. Retain your receipt. You will need it when you pick up your guest tickets for the ceremony.
Candidates who live out-of-state and are unable to come in person to the Bookstore or who cannot attend a Graduation Expo may make their purchase by calling (219) 989-2332 and the Bookstore will mail the cap, gown, tassel, and 4 guest tickets.
All guests including children (infants and toddlers) must have a ticket in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Candidates for graduation receive 4 guest tickets at the Graduation Expo. Grad Expo dates for Fall 2018 are Monday and Tuesday, October 15 and 16, at the Westville campus and Wednesday and Thursday, October 17 and 18, at the Hammond campus. Participants who were unable to attend a Grad Expo can pick up their guest tickets starting Monday, October 22, and no later than Friday, November 9, in the Enrollment Services Center located in Lawshe Hall Room 130 on the Hammond campus or in Schwarz 40 on the Westville campus. In order to receive your tickets, you must present the receipt from your cap and gown purchase.
If you plan on having more than 4 guests, Purdue Northwest provides alternate viewing of each commencement ceremony for guests without tickets via live streaming in a separate room on campus. The ceremony will be streamed “live” in The Room with a View in the Student Union Library Building on the Hammond campus or in LSF 002 on the Westville campus as well as online at www.pnw.edu/commencement-live.
If there are any extra tickets remaining for the Fall commencement ceremonies after Friday, November 9, candidates for graduation will be notified via their Purdue email account.