Commencement is our favorite time of year! We get to celebrate YOU, our graduates, and reward your hard work with a Purdue University diploma.
Commencement Dates and Participant Instructions for Fall 2017
Commencement ceremonies are held in May and December at both Hammond and Westville campuses.
- Hammond Campus – Saturday, December 9, 2017, at 11:00 am and 3:00 pm
- 11:00 am – College of Business and College of Humanities, Education, and Social Sciences
- 3:00 pm – College of Engineering and Sciences, College of Nursing, and College of Technology
- Hammond Commencement Ceremony Information and Instructions
- Westville Campus – Friday, December 8, 2017, at 3:00 pm
Important Steps for Candidates for Graduation – Start Here!
If your final classes end in the first week of May, your graduation term is Spring and you may participate in the May commencement. Please complete the Spring Intent to Graduate survey.
If your final classes end in August, your graduation term is Summer and you should complete the Summer Intent to Graduate. If your final classes end in December, your graduation term is Fall and you should complete the Fall Intent to Graduate. Both Summer and Fall graduates participate in the December commencement.
You must notify the Office of the Registrar of your intent to graduate when you are registering for your final course(s) of your degree program. Also, please tell us how you would like your name printed on your diploma. Diplomas for candidates who are unavailable to pick them up from the Office of the Registrar will be mailed to the graduate’s current mailing address.
Please verify your mailing address in the myPNW portal. Click on the link in the Student Self-Service box on the Registration tab and then select Personal Information from the menu options to review the address we have on file. If you need to update your address, please complete the Address Change form. Then submit the appropriate Intent to Graduate survey below.
The Fall 2017 intent to graduate is now closed. If you need assistance please contact the Office of the Registrar at 219-989-2210.
- For Spring 2018 Candidates for Graduation Only: Declare your intent to graduate and diploma verification
Refer back to this web page for information regarding diploma pick up and distribution.
Cap and Gown
In order to participate in commencement exercises, you must purchase your cap and gown from your campus bookstore no later than Friday, November 10, 2017. Be sure to sign the log (at the bookstore in Hammond or in Schwarz 40 in Westville) when you purchase your cap and gown, as the commencement participation list is generated from the information on this log. Retain your receipt. You will need it when you pick up your guest tickets for the ceremony.
All guests including children (infants and toddlers) must have a ticket in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Participants who were unable to attend a Grad Expo can pick up their guest tickets starting October 23, and no later than November 10, 2017 in the Enrollment Services Center located in Lawshe Hall Room 130 on the Hammond campus or in Schwarz 40 on the Westville campus. In order to receive your tickets, you must present the receipt from your cap and gown purchase.
Any tickets remaining for the commencement ceremonies after [Date: TBA] will be distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis beginning at 8:00 a.m. on [Date: TBA] in the Enrollment Services Center located in Lawshe Hall Room 130 on the Hammond campus and in Schwarz 40 on the Westville campus.
Please note the ceremony will be streamed “live” at www.pnw.edu/commencement-live and we will also have it streamed in The Room with a View in the Student Union Library Building on the Hammond campus or in LSF 002 on the Westville campus for those guests who were not able to obtain a ticket.
Candidates for Graduation Needing Special Assistance
In compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), any candidate who might require special accommodations in order to participate in or attend the commencement ceremony should contact the Graduation Coordinator no later than Friday, December 1, 2017 to make appropriate arrangements.
- Noemi Elizalde at (219) 989-2334 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Guests Needing Special Assistance
There will be limited mobility seating in the venue for guests that require special accommodations. Please see any staff member in a gold robe for assistance. All specially seated guests must have an admission ticket, supplied by the candidate, to enter the commencement venue.
General Commencement Information and Helpful Links
- Academic Attire
- Conferring of Degrees in Commencement Ceremony
- Degree Requirements and Awarding Process
- International Students’ Families
- Request to Participate in Fall Commencement Exercises
- Request to Participate in Spring Commencement Exercises
- To request to have a degree awarded at another Purdue campus, download the Degree Awarded at Another Campus form. This form must be submitted to the Registrar of the student’s home campus prior to the end of the 6th week of the Fall or Spring term, or the 3rd week of the Summer session.