Final grades for fall, spring and summer terms are due on the Tuesday following the end of the semester. Review official guidelines for submitting grades for PNW courses.
Spring 2021 Final Grade Deadline: Tuesday, May 11, 5 p.m. (CST)
A list of acceptable grades can be found in the Academic Regulations section of the Academic Catalog.
An Incomplete, or “I” grade, is defined in the Academic Catalog as a “temporary record of work which was passing when interrupted by unavoidable absence or causes beyond a student’s control.”
A student who receives an “I” grade must achieve a permanent grade in the course no later than the 12th week of the second semester subsequent to the enrollment. If not, the “I” grade will become an “IF”. Please consult the grades section of Academic Regulations in the Academic Catalog for additional information on the “I” grade process.
Incomplete grades can be given to students under certain circumstances. If you have questions about which circumstances warrant an “I” grade, please contact the Dean of Students Office at (219) 989-4141.
If you are issuing an “I” grade, please submit the Incomplete Grade Form (PDF) to the Office of the Registrar in Lawshe Hall Room 130 at the Hammond Campus or to Schwarz Room 40 at the Westville Campus and to the student’s academic department.
A grade of “NS” is only assigned by the Office of the Registrar if a faculty member does not submit final grades by the deadline. Faculty members do not assign “NS” grades. This temporary grade is for administrative purposes only.
It is the responsibility of the faculty member to submit a Form 350 (Academic Record Change) co-signed by the department head for each student who received an “NS” in order to assign a permanent grade. Please be aware that students will be instructed to contact the faculty member if an “NS” grade is posted. Contact the Office of the Registrar if you require a Form 350.
When assigning “F” or “U” grades, also include a last date of attendance. This information is required by the Office of Financial Aid.
To change a student’s grade, faculty should follow the directions on the Form 350 (Academic Record Change), which is available on the Faculty/Advisor tab in myPNW or through the Office of the Registrar.
Please contact Lisa Kovacs in the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com or (219) 989-2664 for issues related to processing grade changes.
Submitting Final Grades
Follow the instructions listed here for submitting final grades through self-Service Banner in myPNW. If you have questions about entering grades using this method, contact the Office of the Registrar .
- Hammond Campus – Kim Frazier, (219) 989-2181
- Westville Campus – Barbara Phillips, (219) 785-5342
1. Go to the myPNW portal. Please note that the recommended browsers for Banner 9 are Chrome, Firefox or Safari and not Internet Explorer.
2. Type in your username (Career Account) and Boiler key and click “Login”. If you do not know this combination, please call Tech Support at (219) 989-2888, option #2.
3. Once you are logged into myPNW, click on the Faculty/Advisor tab.
4. In the Banner Links box, select the Banner SSB link.
5. Click on the Faculty tab.
6. Select Final Grades from the list of links.
7. Select the term from the drop down list and press submit.
8. Select a course to grade from the drop down list and press submit.
9. You can now begin entering grades. Select each student’s grade from the drop-down list.
Note: When entering grades, scroll on the drop-down arrow to make the appropriate grade choice. Every student must receive a grade. Do not enter any form of a “W” grade. This may cause financial aid ineligibility for the student in a future semester. When assigning “F” or “U” grades, please also include a last date of attendance. This information is needed by the Office of Financial Aid.
11. Once you are done, press submit at the bottom of the page.
Be sure to hit the Submit button to save the grades you’ve entered. If a grade has been entered incorrectly, your submission will not be successful. You must enter the appropriate letter grade, P/NP, or S/U where indicated.
12. If you need to grade more than one course:
- To grade a second course, select the Faculty button at the top of the page.
- Choose CRN Selection from the list of links.
- Select your next course from the drop-down list and press submit.
- You will be taken back to the Faculty page, where you can select Final Grades from the list again.
- You can now enter grades for your second course.
- Valid grade choices are A, B, C, D or F (including optional +/- grades). You may need to scroll up or down to find your selection.
- Select or enter the appropriate grade in the Grade column corresponding to the student’s name. All students must receive a grade.
- If a “W” already appears in the Grade column, do not assign another grade.
- Last Attend Date is required for students being issued an “F” grade due to non-attendance. Please enter this date to the right on the electronic roster.
- If a student is receiving an Incomplete for the course, please assign the “I” grade. If the student fails to complete the course, then an “IF” will be administratively assigned at a later date. Do not assign “IF” when submitting your final grades.
- “NS” (Not Submitted) is only assigned by the Office of the Registrar if a faculty member does not submit final grades by the deadline. The faculty member will need to submit a Form 350 to the Office of the Registrar co-signed by the Department Head indicating the permanent final grade earned in the course for each student who did not have a grade submitted by the deadline.
- For students on the Pass/No Pass option, please select or enter either “P” or “N” in the Grade column. Students may not receive a grade of “P” or “N” unless the Pass/No Pass indicator is displayed. The Pass/No Pass indicator appears in the P/NP column with a “P”.
- For all non-credit courses, students should be assigned either “S” (passing/satisfactory) or “U” (failing/unsatisfactory), whichever applies. The Last Attend Date is required for students being issued a grade of “U”.