How to Register for Classes Online
See how to register for classes online, including finding classes, common registration errors and adding your name to a waitlist for a full class!
Step by Step Instructions
Please note: The recommended browsers for web registration are Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Internet Explorer is not recommended.
Step 1 – Login to the myPNW Portal
Log into the myPNW portal using your username and BoilerKey two-factor authentification.
- Type in Username: (Career Account)
- Type in BoilerKey: (numeric)
Step 2 – Register for the Classes You Need
The classes will depend on your Plan of Study.
- Select the Registration tab.
- Click on Register for Classes.
- Select the appropriate term (semester) that you wish to register for. (If Study Path is displayed, choose None and click Continue.)
- If you are registering during your Registration time, you can begin to add classes.
- A registration screen with three panels will display. The top panel will allow you to search for classes or enter CRNs (Course Registration Numbers). The bottom left panel is a weekly schedule view and the lower right is a course summary area. The two bottom panels will populate as you add classes.
- Use the navigation buttons in the middle of the screen to adjust the size of all three panels.
- In the Find Classes section, look up classes if you don’t know the CRN’s. Then click Add when you find the sections you want.
- You can filter your search by campus, subject and course numbers, and instructional method. Use Advanced Search to see more filters like instructor, attributes, and course days and times.
- If you already have the CRN’s, click on the Enter CRNs tab. After entering all the numbers, click Add to Summary.
- Courses will show up in gray in the Schedule and Summary areas as “Pending”. NOTE: “Pending” does not hold your seat in a class.
- Click on Submit to complete the course registration process. When you click Submit, courses will change from Pending to Registered.
If any of the following issues occur, the registration system will display an error message and may prevent you from registering in a course.
- Holds: Holds on your account may prevent registration, and you will need to take care of any financial obligations or other circumstances (like Respect Boundaries) resulting in a hold before registering for classes. Student athletes have registration holds that need to be temporarily removed for course registration or to withdraw from a course. Student athletes must maintain a full-time status (12 credit hours or more) or risk ineligibility. For questions about Athletic Eligibility contact the Athletics Department at (219) 989-2540.
- Closed Classes: If you find a class is full and it has a waitlist, you may elect to add your name to the waitlist.
- Restrictions: Certain course restrictions, such as pre / co-requisites or major / level restrictions, may also prevent registration and may require signature approval by the academic advisor in order for course additions to be processed by the Office of the Registrar.
- Time Conflicts: When registering for courses, the system will not let you enroll in courses that meet in whole or in part during the same time frame. Review the course schedule and select a different section to continue registering.
- Repeating a Course After 3 Attempts: Students are permitted to enroll in a non-repeatable course up to 3 times (Withdrawals – W’s – count as an attempt). Additional enrollment in the same course requires approval from the Academic Department. You will not be able to register for the course without permission. Download the Exception to Course Enrollment Limit form, fill in your information and submit it to your academic advisor.
When you are adding courses to your schedule and find one that is full but you want to try to get into the class, click Add as you would any other open section. The system will return a “Registration Add Error” message letting you know that the course is full, but a waitlist is available. A waitlist is a priority queue for a course that has already reached maximum capacity.
At this point select Wait Listed from the drop down menu in the Action column in the Schedule Summary area and click Submit. Students are strongly encouraged to identify and register in a second choice for the waitlisted course in case a seat does not become available.
When a seat does become available for the waitlisted class, you will be notified via your PNW email account. It is critical that you respond to this notification within 24 hours by registering for the course in myPNW. Go back to Register Now on the Registration tab and under the Action column in the Schedule Summary area, select Web Register in the drop down menu and click Submit. Failure to complete your registration within that 24 hour window will remove you from the waitlist and offer the newly opened seat to the next student on the waitlist. If you need to put yourself back on the waitlist for a course, be aware that you will be at the bottom of the list.
Step 3 – Review Your Completed Class Schedule
After you have registered for your classes,
- If you would like to print your schedule while in the Register for Classes area, click on Schedule and Options tab and select the print icon.
- You can also select View Your Schedule or View Your Concise Schedule in the Registration Shortcuts box on the Registration tab to access your schedule.
- As room numbers may change, check your schedule again just prior to the beginning of the semester to ensure you know where you need to be on the first day of class.
Any questions or issues about course selection and planning, contact your advisor!