Information for Presenters
Thank you for registering to present during the 2023 Days of Discovery. Below you will find important information about participating in the event, including useful workshops to strengthen research poster design and abstract writing.
Poster Making Workshops:
Wednesday, March 1st, 2023 at the Westville campus, TECH 134. 1:00 to 2:00 P.M. Presented by Michelle Spaulding, Ph.D., Associate Professor in Biological Sciences.
Thursday, March 9th, 2023 at the Hammond campus, NILS 306. 2:00 to 3:00 P.M. Presented by Michael Zimmer, Ph.D, Associate Professor in Biological Sciences.
Abstract Writing Workshop:
Monday, March 6th, 2023.
Hammond campus (in person): CLO 265.
Westville campus (in person): LSF 211.
Virtual: Zoom link. Meeting ID: 949 5757 6015. Passcode: 185531.
All presenters are expected to check in before their presentation and pick up a packet with their name tag, poster, certificate of attendance, lunch ticket, and other conference materials. Students who submit their posters for printing to the Office of Research must pick up these posters in advance during one of the times indicated below. Students who are not picking up their posters may check in during the times indicated below, or during the day of the event.
- Wednesday, March 29, 2023; 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Lawshe 246 (Hammond)
- Wednesday, March 29, 2023; 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.; Schwarz 152 (Westville)
- Thursday, March 30, 2023; 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.; Lawshe 246 (Hammond)
- Thursday, March 30, 2023; 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.; Schwarz 152 (Westville)
- Friday, March 31, 2023; 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; Lawshe 246 (Hammond)
- Those selected for oral presentations were notified on Friday, March 17th. Oral presentations will be 10-minutes long, with a 3-minute Q&A and 2-minute set-up time. Presenters will not be allowed to exceed their presentation time. Presenters are expected to bring a Power Point presentation on a removable (USB) drive on the day of the presentation.
- Presenters may view their assigned session time and location by visiting the Program Details page.
- Oral presenters are expected to arrive at least 10 minutes prior to their oral presentation session.
- Out of respect for other presenters, we ask all oral presentation participants to remain in the room for the entire 1.5-hour session.
- Posters will be displayed on easels as illustrated below. Hard-mounted, flat presentation boards not exceeding 48 in (W) x 36 in (H) are recommended. If you have a paper poster, cardboards will be available at the event for temporary mounting.
- Posters submitted for printing to the Office of Research must be picked up in advance.
- Presenters are expected to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to the poster presentation time to set up the poster.
- Poster spaces are not assigned. Faculty and students will be able to select the space that best meets their needs.
- For those who indicated during the registration process that they have additional items to display, such as books and other artifacts, there will be a limited number of tables available. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes prior to the presentation session to set up.
- Students are asked to collect their posters after the presentation session.
Several resources for developing scientific posters are listed below:
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: SURF Workshop Resources: Designing Scientific Research Posters
- Poster Presentations: Design and Delivery (Joanne Lax, Graduate Technical Communications sand Professional Development Specialist) Purdue Graduate Engineering
The Office of Research will be able to print posters free of charge for students who register to participate.
- Posters should be developed in PowerPoint using Custom Slide Size (Width: 48 in, Height: 36 in) and saved as PDF
- Students may use the following pre-sized presentation templates:
- Final posters must be submitted no later than March 24, 2023 via the following submission portal: POSTER PRINTING SUBMISSION LINK
- Please ensure that you are submitting the final, edited and reviewed poster version. We will be unable to re-print posters.
- We can only print one poster per registered team.