TRIO Student Support Services
Our promise is simple – leading you to complete a bachelor’s degree. TRIO Student Support Services serves first-generation college students at Purdue Northwest.
College can be a difficult transition and journey, but you are not alone. Connect with other students who proudly say, I’m FIRST. I’m TRIO. This is your community of support.
Our services emphasize academic excellence, financial literacy, cultural awareness, and life-long learning. There is no cost or fee associated with the program.
- Tutoring, including tutoring online or with a one-on-one peer in a variety of subjects
- Timely assistance with selecting classes, preparing for advising meetings and reviewing academic progress
- Financial aid and scholarship support to reduce loan debt
- Academic and graduate school coaching
- Flex your time management, organization, study strategies, and even your budgeting skills
- Join us as we explore museums, theaters, and other events recommended by you
- Expand your networks by attending research and leadership conferences that pivot you towards personal and career success
How to Join
Fill out the TRIO application and return the completed form to Schwarz Hall 38 (Westville) or Student Union Library Building 343 (Hammond). If you meet the eligibility criteria, we will schedule an appointment to learn about you and your academic and career ambitions.
Eligible students must be enrolled at Purdue Northwest, be a US citizen or legal permanent resident, and intend to graduate from PNW. In addition, if you can answer “yes” to one of the questions below, great news, you are eligible to apply!
- Will you earn a bachelor’s degree before both of your parents?
- Were you awarded state or federal grants? (i.e. 21st Century Scholar, Frank 0’Bannon, Pell)
- Have you requested accommodations from the Disability Access Center?
Meet our Staff
Director of Student Support Services
Griselda Montanez Serrano
Federally Funded by the US Department of Education
$1.5 million in federal funds will be used to fund 195 students in TRIO Student Support Services at Purdue Northwest for the 2015-2020 grant cycle. The program is operated 100% by federal funds and 0% through non-government sources.