Steps to Semester Success
Ready to kick off your semester? OIT is here to help you use technology to prepare your courses.
Any courses you are assigned to teach in the Class Schedule will display for you in the Banner/myPNW Portal and in Brightspace. Confirm the courses you are teaching by looking up each course in the Class Schedule.
I don’t see my course in Banner/myPNW.
- Contact your department secretary to be added as the instructor of record from Banner/myPNW Portal.
I don’t see my course in Brightspace.
Brightspace receives registration information from Banner/myPNW. Courses are loaded into Banner/myPNW on the following schedule:
- Spring courses—week before Thanksgiving
- Summer courses—week of Spring break
- Fall courses—week before Spring Finals week
Teaching online, face-to-face, virtual classroom, or hybrid?
- Review this PNW Supported Instructional Technology document to learn about tools available to you to support and enhance student learning and connect with OIT for further training or support.
Use a Course Template
- Unsure how to structure your course content, and assessments in Brightspace? Visit the PNW Template Course (linked) to copy technical support resources for students as well as a link to the PNW Accessible Syllabus Template.
Master Course Development
- Leverage a Brightspace Master course for each course you are teaching. This private, nonacademic area, allows you to build modules, update material, test restrictions, and optimize navigation without any students enrolled. Then simply copy into your live academic course.
- Need a master course? Email email@example.com.
- Easily copy content from your Master course into your live academic course using this Course Copy Guide.
- Copy all content/components or just some items. Use this feature to easily bulk edit dates, bulk offset dates, and set course availability.
Add Demo Student to view as Learner
- Once your content is populated in your academic course, view your course as a learner by leveraging a “Demo Student”. This fake student is unique to you and allows you to see your course as students see it, test your course before it goes live, take quizzes and view grades to make sure everything is configured correctly. Once the class starts, use the demo account to troubleshoot when things don’t behave as you expected.
- NOTE: The demo student is associated with a single course course and must be created for every course separately. Refer to this guide for instructions.
Using a textbook?
Verify Grade Center Settings
- Set up your grades to reflect weighted, points, or a formula system.
- Keep up to date totals for students by treating ungraded items as Zero points.
- Create a grading scheme that matches your syllabi.
- The grading scheme, by default in Brightspace is set to percentage.
Ensure your instructor account and course(s) are accurately set up to function for the term.
- Establish Account Settings (notifications)
- Set Time Zone
- Set Course Availability
- Email Settings (ensure firstname.lastname@example.org is forwarding to email@example.com)
Ensure your students are ready for a successful semester by sharing this Student Brightspace Help checklist.
Ensure FERPA certification is up to date
- Watch this video on how to register for the FERPA certification or verify your status.
Need to add a TA, SI, or other support user to your course?
- Review the Roles and Permissions document to determine which role best meets your needs
- Follow these steps to add/remove another instructor, TA, SI, Course Builder, etc. who is FERPA certified user to your course.
Brightspace communication tools
Communicate with your students about when your course is available, when grades are entered, or any pertinent course changes through email. Follow along with these guides to get started.
Using Zoom with your course?
Consider creating a “Zoom” module for your students to easily find your meeting links and joining information. You can simply add weblinks to each meeting from your Zoom account, or use the Brightspace-Zoom integration.