Microsoft Defender for Office 365
Microsoft Defender for Office 365 (MDO) provides comprehensive, real-time security coverage for Faculty & Staff Cloud mailboxes.
Any email that is considered dangerous by Microsoft will be sent to the Office 365 Quarantine. All other spam emails, including advertisements and similar content, will be sent to the junk email folder. A daily quarantine report will be provided via email outlining any quarantined emails that require review. You can also visit https://security.microsoft.com/quarantine at any time to view/release emails from quarantine. o learn more, please visit https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/quarantine-end-user?view=o365-worldwide. If a legitimate email is sent to quarantine but is classified by Microsoft as “high confidence” for being dangerous, you can request release which will send a request to security for approval.
To add senders to your Safe Senders list:
In Office 365, you can add entire domains or addresses to your Blocked or Safe Senders list. Entries located within your Blocked Senders list will have their incoming emails automatically moved to the “Junk Email” folder. Any entries located within your Safe Senders list will ignore any junk filtering from Office 365 and deliver the messages to your “Inbox” folder.
Adding entries from Outlook Client:
- Right-click on an email from a sender that you would like to add to the Safe Senders list and select Junk from the options.
- If you would like to add all senders from the domain (anyone from @example.com vs. email@example.com) select Never Block Sender’s Domain (@example.com).
- If you would like to add just a single person’s email address, select Never Block Sender.
Adding entries from OWA:
- From OWA (https://outlook.office.com), click on Settings, which is the gear icon in the upper right part of your window.(You can also go directly to the “Block or Allow” settings by using this direct URL: https://outlook.office.com/owa/?path=/options/blocksenders)
- From there you will click on “View all Outlook settings” at the bottom of the pane, or you can search for a keyword like “block” or “safe” to find the setting you’d like to configure.
- Click on “Mail” and then “Junk email” on the left side of the Settings window.
- Depending on whether you are adding to your Blocked or Safe Senders list, click the “Add” button within the appropriate section.
- In the field marked with the arrow, you will type in an address or the email domain (anything after the @ symbol in an email address) and hit “Enter”.
- As you add them, they will appear in the list down below.
NOTE: If you find that multiple addresses from the same domain are being caught as junk, it’s best to simply add the domain instead of each individual address.
- Once you have made your changes, click the “Save” button towards the top of the page.
A Safety Tip is a banner applied at the top of messages in supported mail clients that informs the recipient of certain conditions, such as email: sent from new senders, impersonating another organization, or containing unusual characters. To learn more, visit https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/anti-phishing-policies-about?view=o365-worldwide#first-contact-safety-tip.
Safe Links is a feature that scans incoming email for known malicious hyperlinks. URLs will be rewritten to provide real-time protection by validating all links against Microsoft’s threat intelligence when accessed. To learn more, visit https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/safe-links-about?view=o365-worldwide#safe-links-settings-for-email-messages.